now browsing by category
The Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) program is a key component of the MACRA Quality Payment Program (QPP) and is expected to be the more popular path for 2017, the first performance year. Under MIPS, the Meanighful Use (MU) Medicare incentive program, Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS) and the Value-Based Modifier (VBM) program will be consolidated into one program.
We’ve consolidated the key highlights for the 2017 transition year and compiled them into this concise overview. It’s short and created for anyone in your practice wondering what to do next.
MIPS HIGHLIGHTS FOR THE 2017 TRANSITION YEAR
Is it too late to start?
- You can start anytime between January 1 and October 2, 2017
Pick your pace
- Test: submit a minimum amount of 2017 data to avoid downward payment adjustment.
- Partial: submit 90 days of 2017 data for a neutral or positive payment adjustment.
- Full: submit a full year of 2017 data and you may earn a positive payment adjustment
- If you don’t submit any 2017 data you will receive a negative 4% payment adjustment.
- The submission of data remains the same as in the past
- Quality Measures via claims based reporting or registry
- Advanced Care Information (ACI) and IA categories use the attestation process as you did with Meaningful Use
- ACI measures reduced from 11 measures to 5 measures
- Cost performance category (formerly VBM) – 0% weight in 2017
- Quality cross-cutting measures and domains removed to avoid a penalty and not earn an incentive, need only report on 1 patient.
MIPS eligible clinicians billing Medicare Part B listed as Physicians, Pas, NPs, Clinical Nurse Specialists, CRNAs.
Exempt eligible clinicians
- Physicians in their first year of Medicare Part B participation
- Membership in an advanced APM
- Physicians with less than $30,000 in annual Medicare revenue/or have less than 100 Medicare patients
MIPS Performance Categories for 2017
Quality (formerly PQRS) = 60%
- Submission: Claims Based, Qualified Registry or EHR
- Report: 6 measures
- Resource: https://qpp.cms.gov/measures/quality
Advanced Care Information (ACI) Formerly MU = 25%
- Submission: Attestation based on your health technology. Attest to 5 required measures for a minimum of 90 days.
- Security Risk Analysis
- Provide Patient Access
- Send Summary of Care
- Request/Accept Summary of Care (bonus credits available)
- Resource: https://qp.cms.gov/measures/aci
Improvement Activities – IA (aka from proposed rule CPIA) = 15%
- Submission: Attestation based on your health technology. Complete 2 – 4 improvement activities for a minimum of 90 days
- Resource: https://qpp.cms.gov/measures/ia